There is no secret key that unlocks a step-by-step manual of how to make important life choices. However you can develop tools to guide you. One important tool for navigating life is having a clear idea of what success looks like to you. As you will see, success is certainly not a one-size-fits-all concept. People value very different things and this leads them to different ideas of what success looks and feels like. Do you hope to live in a big house in a small town, or an apartment in Los Angeles? Do you want to wear a suit and tie to work every day or do you want to own your work by running your own business?
These questions are rooted in how much you value different dimensions of success. Below you will find a list of twelve different aspects, or dimensions, of success. Take time to explore which ones are most important to you. This will help you understand how to prioritize different areas of your life and make decisions about your future. Read the ‘Dimensions of Success’ below. Which ones resonate strongest for you? Make a list of the 3-5 that feel most important to you.
Dimensions of Success:
- Money matters but you can decide how much. Is a high salary a high priority?
- Work-life flexibility
- Not all jobs require you to be in an office or to work from 9 AM to 5 PM. Do you want a job that gives you flexibility to design your days?
- Stress level
- Are you willing to work a high stress job with tight deadlines or do you need a more relaxed, steady workflow?
- Are you comfortable venturing into a field with unknown job stability? With automation and rapid advancements in technology, this is an increasingly important question to consider.
- Status & Prestige
- Though perception of different professions will vary person to person, certain jobs can carry a degree of prestige or respect. Is landing a high profile job a goal of yours?
- Self-Expression & Influence
- There are careers that give you the chance to express your beliefs and shape the way others’ see the world. Is pursuing self-expression and the ability to influence others important to you?
- Helping Others & Giving Back
- For some, the impact their work has is central to their motivation. Are you driven to help others and determined to have a positive impact on the world?
- Creation of Knowledge
- Perhaps you want to expand humanity’s set of “known things” or already know a specific field you want to explore. Is the creation of knowledge central to success for you?
- Independence & Entrepreneurship
- For you, success could mean making something of your own or doing things on your own. Do you love the idea of being your own boss or starting a business?
- Creation of New Technology
- Advancing technology can be a direct way to contribute to the evolution of society. Are you interested in inventing new technology or new ways of doing things?
- Cultivating healthy relationships is some people’s top priority. Are you the type of person who wants to spend your time working alongside, talking with, and listening to others?
- Faith & Spirituality
- Spirituality often lies at the core of who people are and what they want in life. If this is you, how much do you want your career to center around your faith?